In September 2009 the UK higher education funding bodies issued a second consultation on proposals for the REF, including proposals to assess the impact of research, to be developed through an impact pilot exercise.
The Research Excellence Framework: A brief guide to the proposals
A summary of the proposals can be found in 'The Research Excellence Framework: A brief guide to the proposals'.
The consultation closed in December 2009. The funding bodies published:
- a summary of responses (March 2010)
- the consultation outcomes, including the funding bodies' initial decisions and next steps in the design and implementation of the framework (HEFCE Circular letter 04/2010)
Development of consultation proposals
The proposals were developed through a substantive bibliometrics pilot exercise and extensive advice and discussions with a range of stakeholders.
Further reports and documents that informed the proposals are available below:
- 'Capturing Research Impacts: A review of international practice' (A report to HEFCE by Rand Europe)
- A review of the equalities measures taken in the 2008 RAE commissioned by ECU
- RAE 2008 Accountability Review (A report to HEFCE by PA Consulting)