The deadline for submissions to the REF was 29 November 2013. All 155 higher education institutions that intended to participate in the REF made their submissions by the deadline.
Aggregate data about submissions is provided below. In summary:
- 52,077 Category A full-time equivalent (FTE) staff were submitted to the REF. This compares with 52,401 submitted to the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).
- The largest change in staff volume compared with the RAE is in Main Panel B, which has increased by 9 per cent (from 12,234 Category A FTE submitted to the 2008 RAE, to 13,352 submitted to the REF).
- A total of 191,232 research outputs were submitted. This compares with a total of 215,507 outputs submitted to the RAE.
- As a key measure for supporting equality and diversity, allowances were made for staff to be submitted with fewer than four outputs due to individual circumstances. These allowances were widely used:
- 16,361 staff of a total headcount of 56,089 were submitted with individual circumstances.
- Of these, 10,099 were submitted as early career researchers (ECRs).
- In the REF, staff were submitted with an average of 3.41 outputs per individual. This compares to an average of 3.75 outputs per individual submitted to the 2008 RAE.
- 6,975 impact case studies were submitted to the REF.
|Total||Main Panel A||Main Panel B||Main Panel C||Main Panel D|
|Submissions (2014 REF and 2008 RAE)|
|REF: Number of submissions||1,911||312||403||614||582|
|RAE: Number of submissions||2,363||466||485||658||754|
|Staff volume (2014 REF and 2008 RAE)|
|REF: Category A staff (FTE)||52,077||13,611||13,352||14,415||10,698|
|RAE: Category A staff (FTE)||52,401||14,086||12,234||14,834||11,247|
|REF: Category A and C staff (headcount)||56,089||14,761||13,973||15,492||11,863|
|RAE: Category A and C staff (headcount)||57,523||15,539||12,998||16,073||12,913|
|Staff circumstances (2014 REF only)|
|Staff with any individual circumstances||16,361||4,302||3,142||4,819||4,098|
|Staff with complex circumstances||1,032||205||121||386||320|
|Staff with clearly-defined circumstances||15,329||4,097||3,021||4,433||3,778|
|Staff with ECR as a clearly-defined circumstance||10,099||2,595||2,435||2,972||2,097|
|Staff with part-time working, career break or secondment as a clearly-defined circumstance||3,358||772||410||886||1,290|
|Staff with maternity, paternity or adoption leave as a clearly-defined circumstance||2,601||822||276||806||697|
|Outputs (2014 REF and 2008 RAE)|
|REF: Number of outputs submitted||191,232||50,317||49,341||52,224||39,350|
|RAE: Number of outputs submitted||215,507||59,887||50,669||58,494||46,457|
|REF: Number of outputs per member of staff||3.41||3.41||3.53||3.37||3.32|
|RAE: Number of outputs per member of staff||3.75||3.85||3.90||3.64||3.60|
|REF: Outputs requested as double-weighted||5,702||18||36||1,138||4,510|
|Impact case studies (2014 REF only)|
|Number of impact case studies submitted||6,975||1,621||1,667||2,040||1,647|
- For 2008 RAE figures, RAE Units of assessment (UOAs) are mapped to REF Main Panels based on the REF UOA descriptors set out in the Panel criteria and working methods (REF 01.2012).
- For 2014 REF figures, each output requested as double-weighted is counted as two outputs; reserve outputs are excluded.
- Definitions of Category A and C staff are given in Assessment framework and guidance on submissions (REF 02.2011).
The REF expert panels are now assessing submissions and the outcomes will be published on 18 December 2014. The submissions will be published in early 2015.
The Equality and Diversity Advisory Panel will produce a report on the measures to support equality and diversity in the REF, including the allowances for individual circumstances.
Submission guidance documents
The following documents and web-pages provided institutions with guidance on submissions:
- Assessment framework and guidance on submissions (REF 02.2011)
- Panel criteria and working methods (REF 01.2012)
- Guidance on using the submission system
- Details of data requirements
- Further information on submitting research outputs
- Guidance on citation data
- Guidance on REF4 Environment data
- Guidance on data management, including personal, sensitive and confidential data
- Audit and data verification guidance.