Purpose and key points
1. This document sets out the funding bodies’ decisions on the submission of staff and outputs in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework (REF), and decisions on further related aspects, as follows:
- submitting staff
- small submissions
- submitting outputs
- number of impact case studies required
- UOA structure and multiple submissions
- eligibility to participate in the REF for providers in England.
2. This document is for information. No action is required by higher education institutions. Further detailed guidance to institutions on preparing their submissions for the REF will be published in mid-2018.