The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requires that clear and transparent information is provided to individuals about the use(s) that will be made of their personal information:
“The principle of transparency requires that any information and communication relating to the processing of those personal data be easily accessible and easy to understand, and that clear and plain language be used.” (GDPR Recital 39)
To fulfil this obligation, we are employing a layered approach to privacy notices where a short form overview is provided, with a full detailed privacy notice.
Summary privacy notice
Here is a short summary of how the personal information you submit will be held and used:
- Research England (RE) is a part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and delivers UKRI’s England only functions, investing on behalf of the public to promote excellence and innovation in research and knowledge exchange. We also undertake projects on behalf of other funding bodies which will affect the UK as a whole and the Research Excellence Framework (REF) assessment is an example of this. You can find more information about RE and the work that we do on our website: https://re.ukri.org/
- Research England (RE) operates the Research Excellence Framework (REF) on behalf of the four UK higher education funding bodies. The four UK funding bodies are: RE, the Scottish Funding Council (SFC), the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW), and the Department for the Economy, Northern Ireland (DfE). The REF is the UK’s system for assessing the excellence of research in higher education institutions (HEIs).
- The Data Controller of the personal information you submit is UKRI. Research England, who are part of UKRI, will undertake the REF.
- The lawful basis for processing your personal information is that it is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest, and/or for the performance of a contract. The lawful basis for processing sensitive or special category data is explicit consent.
- It will be stored on secure servers within the UK and/or the EU.
- It will be retained for six months after the end of the project then securely disposed of.
- You have certain rights in relation to your personal information, including the right to request a copy of information we hold about you.
- You may contact our Data Protection Officer [email protected] with any queries or concerns you have about the use of your personal information.
You may also wish to read the full privacy notice. Please see below: